Imagine running yourself after a goat that happens to escape from your farm. Sounds funny? Well, I have had such situations quite often in the past. And trust me when I say those were not happy moments!
You may ask why that little fellow could break free? Didn’t I use any protection around them? Well, I did. I have always preferred using electric fences to keep the livestock in control. After all, that’s the most secure way, isn’t it?
However, I made a simple mistake. I forgot that an electric fence system could completely collapse when there’s a blackout. That wasn’t very smart, I know.
Are you also planning to build an electric fence system around your property? If yes, I suggest you switch from AC grids to solar chargers. Why? You may ask. Well, they are budget-friendly, ensure an uninterrupted power supply 24/7, and save your electric bill to a great extent!
But amongst hundreds of options, which one should you use? I know that can be a little confusing. But don’t worry, we are here to save your day. In today’s article, we will present a well-researched list of some most powerful solar fence chargers.
Are you ready to explore what we have stored for you?
Best Solar Powered Fence Chargers : Detailed Reviews
Solar electric fence charger comes with lots of benefits. They are budget-friendly, eco-friendly, easy to install, and most importantly, ensure continuous power supply all day and night long.
Because of these advantages, people are now choosing them over AC-powered electric fences. However, some people are still in a dilemma about the capability of solar chargers.
Usually, an AC-powered fence system is connected to the grid and gets a direct voltage from the line. Since there is a misconception that a solar fence charger may not be as powerful as an AC outlet. But that’s not true.
Today, we will talk about some highly praised solar-powered electric fence chargers which are equally powerful and can perform according to your need. We have segmented them into three sections so that it becomes convenient for you to choose.
Let’s take a look at today’s list of the most powerful solar fence charger.
Best Solar Electric Fence Charger For Goats
Do you have a hard time keeping the goats in control? Well, I know these little fellows can be pretty hard to handle sometimes. But with a solar-powered electric fence, you can do that job pretty quickly.
Electric fences produce very low electricity and use it against the livestock that tries to go beyond the boundary. But for that, you have to ensure a suitable power supply to the fence.
We have chosen three different chargers to energize a fence system to control goats and other similar animals.
1. Zareba ESP30M-Z 30-Mile Solar Electric Fence Charger: Best Budget-friendly
This is the current price of this Zareba ESP30M-Z 30-Mile available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
Being built in the USA, Zambra ESP30M-Z is widely known for its fantastic performance. It covers a large area and is compatible with various fence types, for example, ploy ware, aluminum, steel, etc.
For a remote location where direct grid power may not be available, it is a good choice. At the same time, this solar charger can handle dense weeds pretty well without creating shorts on being touched by weeds.
Packed with a top-quality 12-volt Lithium-ion battery and has optimum battery life. They are low impedance and can function without any sunlight for two weeks. With 0.5-joule output power, it can control a wide range of animals like cattle, goats, sheep, pigs, deer, and so on.
What We Like:
- Coverage Area: Zabera ESP30M-Z covers 30 Miles of an area with ease. If you have a large farm, you can easily cover it with only one unit.
- Battery Life: Low impedance technology prevents unnecessary battery draining and expands the battery life. Thus, ensures a continuous power supply to the fence for two weeks.
- Compatibility: Wide range of compatibility makes it suitable for different fence types, aluminum, steel, ploy ware, poly tape, high tensile wire, etc.
- Charger Status: ‘OK Fence’ light indicator helps you to track the charger’s status. If the light is on, the charger is supplying power to the fence and keeping it active.
- Durability: A strong cabinet is built around the system to protect the internal circuitry from external blows, making the charger durable.
- Easy Installation: Easy to install and can be set anywhere as it doesn’t require a connection with the grid.
Keep In Mind:
- Sturdy: In order to keep it safe from external forces, an extra cabinet is built around the circuitry which makes the charger somewhat sturdy.
- Joule Output: 0.5-joule output power may not be enough for big animals.
Click here to buy this Zareba ESP30M-Z 30-Mile available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
2. Patriot P30 Dual Purpose Electric Fence Energizer: Best Dual Purpose
This is the current price of this Patriot P30 Dual Purpose Electric Fence Energizer available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
Patriot has always tried to expand its dual-purpose fence energizer line with powerful models. Patriot P30 is considered to be the most robust design so far. It produces a 3-joule output which is enough to tame almost all types of domestic animals.
From the name, you already know it’s a dual-purpose one, meaning this solar electric fence charger can function with both AC and DC power. You can connect with a 110v AC power grid or a 12v battery for the best output.
A massive area of about 200 acres or 65 miles of fence is highly appropriate for large farm owners.
Low impedance technology ensures equal power distribution to all fence parts even during under load. The LED indicator informs you quickly whether the system is working or not.
Two years maintenance guarantee assures you to compensate for any unfortunate malfunction.
What We Like:
- Coverage Area: Covers 65 miles of fence area without any difficulties.
- Low Impedance: Makes equal power distribution in all fence parts, even during heavy load. 14 days of functionality without sunlight makes the energizer more demanding.
- Multiple Power Option: Designed to functions on 110-120v AC current or 12v battery power.
- Joule Output: 3-joule output is more than enough to keep the domestic animals in check.
- LED Indicator: From the LED indicator impulse, one can quickly know when the charger is functioning.
- Lightweight: Patriot P30 doesn’t weigh much and can be easily moved.
Keep In Mind:
- No Battery: The 12v battery is not included with the model. You have to buy it separately.
- Safety: We recommend turning off the fence when you try to enter the territory as it produces strong shock.
Click here to buy this Patriot P30 Dual Purpose Electric Fence Energizer available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
3. Parmak DF-SP-LI Solar Pak 6 25-Mile Electric Fence Charger: Best For Cold Weather
This is the current price of this Parmak DF-SP-LI Solar Pak 6 Low Impedance 6-Volt Battery available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
With the launching of Parmak DF-SP-LI, the brand has again proved its capability of making durable solar fence chargers. If you want an ideal fence charger for covering small to medium size fields, this particular model with 25 miles of area coverage can be a great choice.
It can produce output impulse from 0.75 to 1.6 joule in range, according to your need. Hence, can handle both small and medium-size animals like goats, sheep, dogs, etc.
A 6v solar battery is needed for the energizer to operate. The battery is said to have 42% more charging capacity than other chargers in the market with a similar price range. Thus, it can function for 21 days without any solar power.
We really like the in-built performance meter on the front part. A combination of three systems, meter test, voltage output test and battery charge level helps you to acknowledge the meter’s current status.
What We Like:
- Weather Shield: Parmak DF-SP-LI is made of waterproof materials that protect against rough and wet environments.
- Battery Capacity: Experts have acknowledged this model to have a 42% higher battery charging capacity which lasts for three weeks without sunlight.
- Power Output: Power output varies in a range between 0.75-1.6 joule and can handle various types of animals.
- Built-in Performance Meter: Features a built-in performance meter that updates the user about battery charge level, voltage output, and charger functionality.
Keep In Mind:
- Coverage Area: Has a medium area coverage, around 25 miles.
- Limited Livestock: I’m afraid, it may not be so impactful to larger animals.
Click here to buy this Parmak DF-SP-LI Solar Pak 6 Low Impedance 6-Volt Battery available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
Best Solar Powered Fence Charger For Cattle
Sometimes users want a charger and electric fence system that is suitable for a specific type of animal. For those looking for decent solar-powered electric fence chargers for cattle, we have chosen three great options for you!
Are you ready to see reviews of some best solar fence chargers for cattle? I’m sure you are. Let’s start then.
1. Cyclops Boss 32 Joule AC Fence Charger: Most Powerful
This is the current price of this Cyclops Boss 32 Joule AC Fence Charger available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
If you are looking for an ultimate powerhouse, Cyclops Boss 32 Joule fence charger is a perfect choice. It is an AC-powered charger that works on 110-120v of direct power supply.
Despite having to store capacity up to 41-joule charge, it can release only around 30-32 joule output power because of internal resistance. But even 32 joule is a lot that can easily control cattle, wild boars, or unwanted intruders from entering your property.
Boss charger from Cyclops is said to be the most resistant against lightning strikes. This is why we call it the strongest electric fence charger, without any doubt.
Being low impedance, it provides a power supply to the farthest end of the charger and keeps the loop continuous. The built-in fence load detector keeps on twitching, indicating the charger’s activity.
What We Like:
- Area Coverage: Capable of covering around 30 Miles of fence area with ease.
- Low Impedance: Since the charger is low impedance and ensures high energy voltage even during heavy resistance against power load.
- Lightning Resistance: Any Cyclops electric fence charger is more lightning resistant than any other brand or model. Hence, they are the most powerful model ever.
- Fence Load Indicator: A small orange light that keeps flashing in the front part of the charger indicates the charger’s current state.
- Joule Output: 32-joule output power is nowhere near low and can create a high energy shock that will keep all intruders away.
Keep In Mind:
- AC powered: Functions on direct 110/120v AC power and so not suitable for remote areas where a grid is not available.
- Pricing: You need to pay quite a handsome amount to own a boss energizer from Cyclops.
- Safety: 32 Joule may become too much for certain animals to handle. In that case, you need to train the animals first. Also, be cautious when you step inside or outside the fence.
Click here to buy this Cyclops Boss 32 Joule AC Fence Charger available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
2. Fi-Shock ESP2M-FS 2-Mile Solar Fence Charger: Best Small Range
This is the current price of this Fi-Shock ESP2M-FS 2-Mile Solar-Powered Electric Fence Charger available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
Suppose you need a fence charger to cover a small area or control small, calm animals. In that case, Fi-Shock ESP2M-FS is probably a suitable option for you. It covers 2 miles of fence area and produces 0.04-joule output impulse.
Even though a small unit, doesn’t mean it is any less capable than the other products on our list. Low impedance solar-powered electric fence charger resists battery draining and controls the voltage range in all situations. It can go on for two weeks without any sunlight once it is fully charged.
We like the fact that it not only keeps animals in control but also pays attention to their safety. 1-second intervals between the impulses ensure no damage to the livestock.
Furthermore, it is compatible with almost all types of fence systems, for instance, steel, aluminum, poly wire, etc. Along with that, the amazing weed handling ability makes the charger perfect for remote areas.
What We like:
- Compatibility: Compatible with different types of the fence system. Aluminum, steel, poly tape, poly ware all get along fine with this unit.
- Durability: ESP2M-FS possesses an extra cabinet outside the circuitry system and therefore durable and long-lasting.
- Battery Life: Once fully charged, can run for two weeks long, even in complete darkness.
- Impulse Interval: 1 second interval time between every two pulses ensures that the animals won’t get continuous shock upon touching the fence.
Keep In Mind:
- Small Coverage: Only 2 miles of area coverage may not be enough for some farmers.
- Not Waterproof: Does not possess waterproofing features of any weather shield.
Click here to buy this Fi-Shock ESP2M-FS 2-Mile Solar-Powered Electric Fence Charger available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
3. Gallagher North America G341414 S16 30 Acre Fence Charger: Best Mounting
This is the current price of this Gallagher North America G341414 S16 30 Acre Fence Charger available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
An original New Zealand company, Gallagher has again grabbed hold of the market with their Gallagher North America G341414 S16 model. This model is famous for amazing battery life.
Unique battery-saving technology restricts unnecessary draining and extends the battery life. Slowing down the impulses during the night when animals are less active, it ensures a long battery life, about three weeks without any light.
The charger operates on a 6v solar battery. 0.16-joule output power production is sufficient for keeping domestic animals inside the property. You can cover 30 acres of area with a single unit of this solar charger.
Being a tough model with solid waterproof, UV, and drops resistant technology, it can adjust to any environment pretty quickly. 360° mounting on fence posts makes it easier to set the charger facing towards the sun.
What We Like:
- 360° Mounting: Features 360-degree mounting on posts. You can easily turn them, adjust and face towards the sunlight.
- Battery Life: Unique battery-saving technology prolongs the battery life and ensures continuous functionality for three weeks without further charge or sunlight.
- Light Indicator: There’s a battery life indicator light installed on the charger which notifies the user about the charge level.
- Weather Protection: Waterproof, resistant against dust, UV light, and can handle rough weather pretty efficiently.
Keep In Mind:
- Coverage Area: Only 30 acres of area coverage may not be enough for large property owners.
- Limited Animal Restriction: Enough to keep some domestic animals inside the fence. But for larger creatures like wild boar, it may not be much effective.
Click here to buy this Gallagher North America G341414 S16 30 Acre Fence Charger available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
Best Solar Fence Charger For Horses
Keeping a horse bound within a selected area is undoubtedly a tough job. They are huge and quite expensive too. You can’t use just any random electric fence for them. After all, you wouldn’t want them to get hurt by too much voltage.
That’s why we have selected three exclusive solar electric fence chargers for horses. For a detailed review of the chargers, read further to the article.
1. Parmak Super Energizer 5 110/120 Volt 50-Mile Electric Fence Controller SE5: Ultimate Powerhouse
This is the current price of this Parmak Super Energizer 5 Low Impedance 110/120 Volt 50 Mile available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
Parmak never disappoints the users when it comes to electric fence chargers. For those who are still not comfortable using solar chargers, maybe you can try the Parmak SE5 fence controller. It is an AC-powered electric fence charger that operates on 110/120v current.
Designed to produce impulses in the range of 1.5 to 6.3 joule, which creates a strong barrier for a wide range of animals. From chickens to wild boars, horses, everything can be kept in or out of the fence pretty easily.
As a large range energizer, it is capable of charging over 50 miles of single or multi-wired fences. Being low impedance controls voltage precisely to all parts of the fence system, leaving no loophole in the system. It can also send shocks through wet and dense weeds.
For the users to be updated about the fence’s current status, voltage level, there’s an in-built digital performance meter. Fuse protection with lightning arrest aims for the charger to last long.
What We Like:
- Area Coverage: One of the highly recommended powerhouses for large pastures that can charge up to 50 miles of fences.
- Computer Controlled Circuitry: Features highly advanced computer-controlled circuitry, which takes the charger’s performance to the next level.
- Low Impedance: Low impedance technology ensures uniform voltage distribution in all parts of the fence.
- Digital Performance Meter: Built-in performance meter keeps informing you of the condition of the fence. Voltage level, the output power is shown on the digital display.
- Lightweight: The charger is pretty lightweight and can be easily carried.
Keep In Mind:
- Indoor Installation: For being an AC-powered charger, it needs to be installed indoors. You can’t place them near your fence like solar chargers.
- No Stored Power: Since functions with direct power supply from the AC outlet, it doesn’t have a battery to store energy. So in case of blackouts, your fence system may weaken.
Click here to buy this Parmak Super Energizer 5 Low Impedance 110/120 Volt 50 Mile available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
2. Parmak Magnum Solar-Pak 12 30-Mile Electric Fence Charger MAG12-SP: Best Performance Overall
This is the current price of this Parmak Magnum Solar-Pak 12 Low Impedance 12 Volt Battery Operated 30 Mile available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
Another Parmak product, isn’t it? That clearly states how reliable Parmak chargers are. Parmak Magnum Solar-Pak 12 is a high-performance solar electric fence charger that functions with the help of a rechargeable 12v battery.
The latest and improved solar panel stores the maximum charge and ensures an increased battery life. With this unit, you don’t have to worry about it being overcharged since it’s protected by overheating protection.
Output power for this solar charger is about 3.1 joule which can effortlessly keep large animals like horses in control. Also, 30 Miles of charging range can be a good choice for large pastures.
Equipped with Parmak’s special built-in performance meter that shows fence condition, voltage range, battery level and keeps the user updated.
What We Like:
- Durability: Parmak Magnum SP12 is designed to handle rough outdoor usage with waterproofing technology which makes the charger long-lasting.
- Fence Coverage: A single unit can effortlessly charge up to 30 Miles of single or multiple wired fence.
- Strong Output: 3.1-joule output current is more than enough to keep your horses within the boundary.
- Performance Meter: Features a digital performance meter that combines three technologies which shows the charger’s functionality, fence condition, voltage range, and battery level.
Keep In Mind:
- Weight: Slightly heavier than regular solar chargers.
- Price: A little pricier than smaller models.
Click here to buy this Parmak Magnum Solar-Pak 12 Low Impedance 12 Volt Battery Operated 30 Mile available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
3. Gallagher S40 25-Mile Solar Electric Fence Charger: Most Popular
This is the current price of this Gallagher S40 Solar Electric Fence Charger | 25 Mile / 80 Acres of Fence 0.4 Stored Joule available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
If we look at the current market, Gallagher S40 always secures a spot on the most popular fence charger list. Being packed with features and incredible performance, it would have been shocking if it wasn’t.
Powers up 25 miles of single fence wire and approximately 5 miles of multi-wired fence area efficiently. An advanced built-in solar panel and a 6-volt solar battery can store 0.4-joule charge and send impulses of 0.29 joule. Though we can’t call it the highest range on our list, it can surely keep your livestock inside the fence.
An amazing feature of this model is its adjustable power setting. You can adjust the impulse power according to your need. You can also keep the impulses continuous in the daytime and make them slower at night when animals are less active. Or you can do it reversely to keep the intruders away at night.
The unique power-saving technology used in this charger extends the battery life for 21 days to function without sunlight. Featuring a waterproof body, it’s protective against lightning and thus is perfect for any weather.
What We Like:
- Weather Shield: Gallagher S40 has a waterproof body and can tolerate harsh weather and is perfect for rough outdoor usage.
- Power Mode: Unlike many other chargers, it has an adjustable power control. You can set it according to your liking.
- Durability: Designed to hold out for a long time.
- Portable: Lightweight and comes with a carrying handle. The installation process is not complex either. So, you can easily install it anywhere you want.
- Battery Life: Can function without sunlight or any further charge for three weeks because of its impressive battery-saving feature.
Keep In Mind:
- Power Range: Certainly, not the most powerful solar charger. For those who need extreme power and voltage, you may need to reconsider.
- Price: Slightly costlier than the same range of solar chargers of other brands.
Click here to buy this Gallagher S40 Solar Electric Fence Charger | 25 Mile / 80 Acres of Fence 0.4 Stored Joule available at Amazon (affiliate link takes you to Amazon.com).
What To Consider Before Buying A Solar Fence Charger?
You can’t just randomly buy a solar fence charger and expect it to satisfy all your needs. It is just foolish. There are some factors like fence range, capacity, voltage, etc. which you need to consider before buying a unit.
But there are lots of sectors, and it is impossible to forget one or two. That’s why we have tried to highlight some points that need your ultimate attention. Take a look at them and see if you have missed anything.
Not all chargers are compatible with all types of fence wires. Suppose you happen to buy one that is compatible with different fence wires, well congratulations. However, standard solar chargers are generally comfortable with classic steel, aluminum, or high tensile wires.
If you are using other options like poly wires, poly tape, etc., buy a charger that can perform well with those wires.
Every solar electric fence charger has its range of capacity up to which it can perform adequately. Some chargers are best for small to mid-range, covering 2 to 25 miles of fence wires. Some are for a more extensive range, above 30 Miles.
If you aim to create a fence system around a large area, you need to buy a charger with a large coverage area.
One of the main factors for choosing a charger is the types of animals you plan to restrain or protect. Are they huge? Depending on their size, you will need low/big impulse shock.
Small animals like goats, sheep, pigs don’t require much power to be in control. But you will need a bit of a high power pulse for restraining horses, cattle, wild boar, intruders. But not too much. You are not trying to kill anyone with your electric fence.
Voltage And Joule
Depending on what type of animal you are trying to control, a fence system’s voltage and power output vary. They determine the intensity and duration of a shock.
For smaller animals, low voltage and power are enough to keep them within the fence. But for larger animals, it should be a little high.
Having a decent battery life is another important factor you can’t ignore. If you live in a winter country, you will need a solar charger with prolonged battery storage. During winter, it becomes difficult to get much sunlight. In such times, if your charger’s battery life isn’t good, it won’t be able to function.
Dense and wet weeds damage the impulse sent from the charger and create loopholes in the fence system. It also drains too much battery power.
For coping with the weeds, a solar charger needs to be low impedance. Only then can it reduce battery draining and ensure equal voltage distribution even through weeds.
You wouldn’t want to change your solar fence charger frequently, will you? That’s a hassle. Buy a durable charger that comes with weather protection and can adjust to any type of environment.
Nowadays, chargers are protected by the manufacturer’s warranty, even against damage caused by lightning. Check the details before buying any model.
A notable reason for users to choose a solar fence charger is because it is easy to install. Generally, solar chargers are lightweight and can be moved anywhere. They are also easy to set up with the whole fence system.
Before buying any charger, go through its manual. If it looks difficult to mount, look for a different option.
No matter how much you like a product, you can’t buy it if it’s beyond your budget. In the market, there are hundreds of solar chargers with a variable price range. You need to choose one that fulfills your demands but also stays within your budget.
Solar fence chargers use solar panels to absorb sunlight and then convert it into energy. If you put your charger in sunlight for a few days, it will be charged fully. So, all you need to do is put the charger under direct sun.
Yes, of course. A solar powered electric fence charger uses sunlight to charge during the daytime. At night, it uses the previously stored energy from sunlight and converts it into electric power. Thus, it keeps the electric fence system active, even at night.
Depending on how roughly you use it, a solar charger can last for years. The batteries, though, need to be replaced sometimes. A typical solar battery can go for 3-5 years, varying based on its use.
Depending on the battery capacity and other features, the battery life varies from the charger to charger. Typically a solar battery can go for two weeks without sunlight or further charge. But it needs to be fully charged first to function for this period.
The voltage and Joule of a solar charger should be determined depending on the kind of animals you are trying to control. Some animals need higher impulses than regular; some are controllable with low power.
Typically, it is better if a solar charger has 1 joule per mile power supply.
Choosing a good charger unit is a must for ensuring a continuous power supply to your electric fence. Else, the whole system becomes quite useless, and your livestock is hard to control. The last thing you would want is for the animals to run away because of a weak fence system.
That’s why, to help you to choose the top quality solar chargers, we have talked about some most powerful solar fence chargers. We have tried to put all necessary information with an honest review. Hopefully, it will be helpful, and you can find a solar electric fence charger that suits you the best.