Rain is always a blessing until you have a headache of thinking will rain ruin a generator?
The power company is often left without a choice after severe weather events, such as hurricanes or rainstorms. Flooding in these conditions makes it difficult and dangerous for them to operate generators.
To back up their own service during an emergency situation. Never use the generator in hurricanes or adverse weather.
Generators are not just for emergencies. They can be your best friend in the event of a power outage. But running one during rain or snow is tricky and may ruin it!
The groundwater might come into contact with open wires which would short circuit them out causing sparks. It could start fires as well as ruining valuable parts like outlets.
For more expensive equipment inside a home, such accidents have been known to happen without warning. So constant monitoring while operating this device must always remain a top priority at all times
Can a Generator Run In The Rain?
Lightning strikes, power outages, and natural disasters can cause a lot of problems. When using your portable generator as a backup after the storm. Which it’s typically not safe unless there is no other option.
Be aware that moisture may create additional challenges with equipment operation in wet weather or rainstorms. It depends on how often they occur where you live!
A generator is a great way to power your home when the grid goes down. But what about running one in rainy conditions? The short answer is yes, you can run a rain-soaked generator as longs as it has protection for its blades and motor.
From getting wet or clogged with dirt particles that may accumulate on them during heavy rainfall events. Because doing so will cause rusting quickly. It could lead to totally stopping the operation of this type of power plant ( or at least reducing its ability to generate energy).
What To Do If The Generator Gets Wet
The first thing to do is isolate the wet generator and disable its start function. You can then open up the affected area so that hot, dry air will be able to dehumidify it inside for you.
If you want your home’s electrical system to be as efficient and safe, then it needs a good grounding. To do this the neutral wire must have high insulation resistance from earth or any other metal. It may come into contact with its surface.
This can only happen if everything in between phases of conductivity is bone dry. This includes being cleaned with an absorbent material like paper towels. Before connecting anything back up again!
A hairdryer will suffice for small generator-sized units. But larger Gensets require something more powerful. Such as blowers capable enough to blow around 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
Airflow across surfaces so they’re nice n clean once done drying out. It may take a few hours of hot, dry air being blown through the machine to restore its insulation value.
Run Portable Generators Using Covers in Rain, Storm, and Hail:
Do you want to risk your generator’s health in rain and storm? Well, generators are pricey and you wouldn’t want to spend your money again and again to buy one after another. In this case, the generator’s cover can be a life savior option.
Here we are suggesting to you some best generator covers that can be used during wet weather to keep your generator safe from the rain and storm.
1. GenTent Generator Running Cover – Best For Gas Powered Generators
- Up to 70 MPH Forecast Winds
- Hurricane Force Precipitation (12″ per hour)
- 18″ Snow Load (55 LBS.)
- Flame Retardant (NFPA 701) rating on canopy and component pieces.
- Waterproof dual coated vinyl – made from rip-stop material – with welded seams.
Portable generators are a modern miracle. They allow you to have power on the go anywhere and anytime. But there’s just one huge problem. They can’t be used in bad weather.
Because rain causes them to short out which could lead back up into electrocution!
The GenTent generator cover is a must-have for anyone who needs to power their home or office. This simple, yet effective product can protect your portable machine from rain.
It will let you use it in any weather situation no matter how inclement. With this portable generator cover, you can use your machine even in stormy conditions.
Specifically, we’ll take a look at the GenTent 10k Stormbracer kit that is designed to work with gas-powered machines rated between 3K and 10K watts output!
What We Like:
- Does a great job of protecting your unit from high wind and rain.
- Made of a material that can withstand even harsh weather conditions.
- Right, fit for your generator. The frame is strong and durable. Fits most external-framed power tools!
- With fewer than five minutes, you’ll have a fully functional coverage that saves space and improves efficiency and productivity.
Keep In Mind:
- Price – The generator cover is a little on the expensive side.
- Initial assembly – Assembly can be a little frustrating at first.
- Ventilation – The idea of a ventilation area is to allow the engine to get wet.
2. IGAN Generator Tent Running Cover – Best For Long Lasting
- All Weather Resistance for Safe Operation
- Heavy duty Tarpaulin
- High-strength Metal Frame
- Dual-purpose: for Use and Storage
With the IGAN generator protector, you won’t have to worry when taking out your machine on a trip. You’ll be able to operate it amidst rain and snow as well any kind of wet weather, even strong winds will do!
This product is designed with features that make it easy to use and assemble. You’ll find the cover will help ensure your generator stays in top condition. While also keeping all sensitive areas well protected.
But don’t worry! The design leaves plenty of room for expansion as needed or desired. So there’s no need to sacrifice anything when buying this enclosure kit today.
The heavy-duty, all-purpose cover is built to protect your machine and comes with a storage bag. It’s made from waterproof tarp material weighing up to 9 pounds. Perfect for running or storing when not in use!
Its sturdy stainless steel frame ensures that it lasts long while providing.
What We Like:
- Provide protection in any kind of weather.
- Protection technology is made of three-layered.
- The refueling system is very quick
- The material of the frame is very sturdy
Keep In Mind:
- Adjustment – The generator model sets the adjustment.
3. Porch Shield Waterproof Universal Generator Cover – Best For Fabric
- Made of 600D heavy duty fabric with 100% waterproof coating.
- Protect the generator from rain, snow, UV rays, dust, tree sap, and birds.
- With ventilated structure, and velcro at one side for easy install and remove.
- Elastic hem cord and bottom strap for a custom secure fit, especially during high winds and severe weather.
The Generator Cover fabric is polyester of 600D durable. It has water-resistant with laminated undercoating added. Three sizes are available of its feature. You can use it in storage or towed behind your generator during use.
Just make sure to keep it dry. The double stack of material on one side makes this cover weather resistant. But ventilated so that you don’t overheat when sitting outside. All day long waiting for the lights to go back up again or until morning comes around sooner than expected.
Because we know sometimes nature has other plans. The hem cord of elastic allows custom secure fitment. while the bottom strap keeps things nice ‘n’ tight once installed properly (especially important during high winds).
The generator is protected from rain, snow, and UV rays to ensure that your expensive investment stays in perfect condition for years to come.
A 3-year warranty ensures you have nothing at risk. If something goes wrong with this product!
What We Like:
- Made of polyester fabric which is water-resistant.
- Fully covered with seam sealing tape.
- Ventilated by two stacks of fabric.
- Allows easy installation and also easy to remove.
- For custom, security purposes use an elastic hem cord and bottom strap.
Keep In Mind:
- Heavy Fabric – Made of heavy-duty fabric due to waterproof coating.
4. NUPICK 32-inch Generator Cover for Universal Portable Generators – Best For High-Quality Protection
- Made with thick 600D commercial 100% waterproof vinyl
- Polyester lining provides stability and structural strength
- Elastic bottom hem provides a secure and tight fit during high winds
- Two inch wide fastening straps secure it in place and create a snug fit
- Mesh vent allows breathability and promotes airflow to prevent moisture and condensation
- Durable dirt, water, and UV-resistant material for year-round protection
The Everlasting 600D Commercial Hybrid Waterproof Vinyl Cover will provide you with high-quality, affordable outdoor protection. The material is commercial grade and 100% waterproof to withstand the elements year-round.
Its durable construction means that this cover can handle all types of weather conditions without letting anything penetrate it. Even harsh winds or heavy snowfall.
Plus its two-inch wide shoulder straps give users peace of mind while out in their garden at night during storm season (or anytime really). It’s designed specifically for people who live near busy streets.
So they don’t have any trouble seeing where they’re going. When walking home after dark thanks to reflective trimming on every side.
This generator cover will keep your equipment safe from the elements, regardless of where you live. It is designed to withstand drenching rains and winds that would otherwise damage any other piece of outdoor gear.
So not only does it provide protection for cooking sets but also prevents rusting with its water-repellant material!
What We Like:
- Gives protection in every weather. Whether it is very rough or stormy.
- Keep the generator like new after a long time. Also, provide long-lasting service.
- Contain elastic strap to keep placed that even in windy weather.
- With air vents to show the exterior part, designed very smartly.
Keep In Mind:
- Fit – Does not fit every generator. Specifically made for only one model.
- Measurement – Doesn’t have any variety of measurements.
5. Classic Accessories StormPro Waterproof Heavy-Duty Generator Cover – Best For External Materials
- The durable, waterproof fabric provides protection against rain, snow, sun and dirt.
- Quality construction keeps this cover from cracking in cold weather.
- Receive fierce protection from the elements with StormPro.
A storm can ruin your day. But a Generator Cover by Classic Accessories will change everything. The durable water-repellent fabric backed with protective PVC makes sure that you are protected from rain and snow during wintertime.
It’ll also withstand sun damage without cracking in cold weather! This cover is tough enough for any season. its warranty ensures peace of mind no matter what kind is the weather condition.
Your product is covered by a hassle-free warranty if it fails in the first year. We also have customer service representatives located throughout the United States. Who can help you get your problem solved!
What We Like:
- Gives protection against rain for waterproof fabric material.
- Taped seams help keep the rain out and your equipment protected, so you can focus on what really matters.
- With adjustable tension panels and click-close straps, fit perfectly for a generator that won’t slip or move around.
- Air vents provide a wide range of options to allow maximum ventilation.
- Air vents allow reflective piping to keep the environment5 safe at night time.
Keep In Mind:
- Fits – Fits only mentioned sized not for every generator.
- Placing – In windy conditions, it may move on from the place.
3 Tips On How To Run A Generator Safely
Backup generators can be an essential part of your family’s home safety. From large-scale units that provide power for the whole house to portable models.
It only runs a few appliances when needed. Backup Generators have it all.
However, using this equipment incorrectly may put both you and others at risk during extended outages. So make sure they’re installed properly by professionals who know what they’re doing.
There are dangers in trying to plug in your generator to an outlet. If you’re interested in powering the whole house, it’s important to contact a licensed electrician. And have them install safety equipment for this type of installation so that everyone stays safe.
Keep these tips in mind when using a backup generator.
- Plug appliances directly into the Genset or use an outdoor-rated extension cord that meets or exceeds the wattage requirements set by each individual appliance brand before connecting them together with this type of power transfer system.
- The generator should be used in a dry area and under an open canopy-like structure. The user’s hands should never touch the machine while it is working, as doing so could result in electrocution!
- Gasoline is a very dangerous and flammable liquid. A spill, even on the ground where it’s cooled before refueling can ignite into an explosion that could seriously harm both yourself as well as those around you!
Never Run a Generator In a Garage Or Indoors
It is important to make sure that you never open or close doors or windows while standing in front of the generator. Opening and closing these may lead to CO poison. So it must stay at least 20 feet away from any building.
Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. It can be found in any place and has the power to kill you slowly, without your knowledge until it’s too late.
The inhalation of this odorless gas will cause severe damage. It could have been prevented by following some simple safety precautions. Such as closing doors properly or installing an exhaust fan for cooking with gas ranges if needed. Not just at home but also while traveling outside ones’ own house as well.
It’s a good idea to always monitor your CO levels when you’re home. If the garage door is open, it could allow outside air inside.
It can also blow any remaining gas right back into the house. Here are more dangers for humans to be poisoned by it!
The wind blew through the doors. It could have gotten on the other side. CO is a dangerous gas for people to breathe in. Until it’s diffused away which can take many hours.
Keep Way From Generator Damage And Electrocution
Protecting your generator from moisture, wind, and rain is essential to make sure it lasts. There are many ways you can do this.
Buy a cover or build one yourself with the right materials in mind! Whether using GentTents’ ready-made enclosures will be more expensive than doing things on one’s self depends. Upon what kind of enclosure best suits your needs.
But there’s no doubt they’ll provide excellent protection against external elements like snowmelt. Runoff that could otherwise cause furniture rust spots over time due to corrosion.
By acids present during rain periods without heavy usage such as winter months when most people aren’t remotely near their homes so much.
The water and electricity don’t get along. When this happens, you will inevitably end up with electrocution or generator damage!
Whenever there is moisture on your outlet covers or panels it causes short circuits. This can lead to more serious problems like fire destruction of property.
Portable generators are a great option for those who need to power their home on the go. But they can be dangerous if you don’t take precautions.
When grounding loop connections between generator frame and power source, make sure that there isn’t an excess of static charges. Either component because this will lead to death by electric arcs.
A portable electric generator should be used only when necessary and powered by the appropriate outlet. Do not operate in wet conditions such as rain or snow, because you run a risk of electrocution!
The best way to safely operate your generator is by avoiding any door or window openings that could allow outside elements in.
If you want to protect your investment, the Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends that it should be operated on a dry surface under an open canopy-like structure.
Using a generator in wet conditions can be dangerous. So make sure that the area where power is being generated has adequate ventilation and drainage holes nearby so there’s no standing water that could cause electrocution from Shock Hazard!
Don’t place generators inside of your structure. Instead, have it at least 20 feet from the house and away from any doors or windows.
So, I hope the dilemma “will Rain Ruin a Generator?” has come to an end. Generators are great for power outages. But they can get wet and damage if left outside. If you don’t want your generator ruined by water or snowmelt then it’s important to protect them with a cover!
You could buy one at GentTent – which would be more expensive than making enclosures DIY project. But these covers ensure that even when exposed the item won’t suffer permanent damage from moisture in inclement weather like windchill factor etc.